We at Eat The Sunlight are believers in fruit feasting and in this article by Linda Wagner it goes over some of the benefits of fruit feasting.
This is termed a ‘FEAST’ rather than ‘FAST’ because one gets ALL the calories one would normally get in a day (i.e. 1500 for an average woman) – from at least 4 litres/1 gallon of fresh juice, daily (green vegetable juices, fruit juices and coconut water all included). Often when people fast they take in very small amounts of liquid/calories, the metabolism slows, their energy slumps, and they may feel quite ‘dysfunctional’. Juice Feasting works differently, supporting the feaster to be very functional in daily life and meeting all calorie needs, while experiencing massive cleansing on a cellular level. – source
There are SO many reasons why juicing is so beneficial, here are just a few:
- Juice requires hardly any digestion, so all its nutritional goodness gets rapidly into your system while simultaneously giving your digestive system a rest. Your body can then use that saved energy to clean out old matter, especially from the small intestine. The average person holds 5-10lbs of toxic old matter in their intestines, and Feasting is an ideal way to release it, giving the body a phenomenal chance to rejuvenate and restore. Far from being a time of ‘deprivation’, this extraordinary healing programme is an experience of abundance and massive nutritional intake…we lose weight, skin becomes radiantly healthy, illnesses are healed, scar tissue rejuvenates, and we detox our whole system on a massive scale. – Angela Stokes
- When you juice, you use waaaaaay more fruits and vegetables than you could actually eat at one time. As a result, you are drinking a HUGE quantity of vitamins, minerals and other plant-based nutrients that would be impossible to get otherwise.
- You give your WHOLE BODY a chance to “clean house”. Without the added burden of digestion, which takes a LOT of time and energy, the body is now free to work on other things like detoxing the liver and kidneys…and the remains of all those Ramen Noodles you used to eat! When we drink Raw vegetable juices, the situation is entirely different, as these [micronutrients] are digested and assimilated within 10 to 15 minutes after we drink them and they are used almost entirely in the nourishment and regeneration of the cells and tissues, glands and organs of the body. In this case the result is obvious, as the entire process of digestion and assimilation is completed with a maximum degree of speed and efficiency, and with a minimum of effort on the part of the digestive system. – Dr. Norman Walker: “Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices“, Pg 9
- All vegetables are alkalizing (my clients know ALL about this!!). The benefits of maintaining alkalinity in the body are crucial. There are entire books written on the subject and this is something that I cover in detail in my private one-on-one sessions, so without getting into too much detail, here are just a few benefits of maintaining an alkaline environment in our tissues:
- Improved focus and mental clarity
- Improved heart and cardiovascular function
- Improved bone & joint function
- Stronger Immune System – infections and disease thrive in an acidic environment
- Better digestion
- Better overall mood
- Healthier hair, skin and nails
- Natural body weight
- Heart Health: Both antioxidant vitamins C and E prevent the damaging effect of free radicals on artery walls. They prevent blood from sticking, clotting, becoming toxic as well as helping to lower triglycerides levels. Great levels of vitamin C can be found in most fruits and vegetables. Good levels of vitamin E can be attained by adding blackberries, kiwi, asparagus and spinach in your juice recipes.
- Liver Detoxification: One of the primary functions of the liver is to serve as the body’s detoxifier. It is involved with detoxifying harmful substances (like environmental toxins, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, drugs, etc) before they can enter the bloodstream and harm the body. Periodic cleansing of the liver through juicing can be important in maintaining good health. Fresh juices reduce the burden on the liver and give it a chance to catch up. Juicing allows the liver to rid itself of accumulated toxins, thus permitting it to operate more efficiently.
With all of those benefits, how could you NOT do a juice feast?! I know what you’re thinking, “I could NEVER do that“! Let me tell you, my friend is doing the 10 day juice feast with me and he is a fast food loving, pizza eating, beer guzzling, mexican food loving south Texas boy. If he can do it, YOU CAN DO IT. Seriously, take my word on this!!
If you need more inspiration, check out the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead streaming live on Netflix. It will be all the inspiration you need!
Here’s a delicious recipe that you can try. It’s not only delicious, it also helps eliminate pesky cellulite. Behold, the Cellulite Buster!
- 1 peeled grapefruit
- 3 peeled oranges
- 1 peeled lemon
- 1 inch knob or ginger
Run all ingredients through a juicer (I recommend Breville) and enjoy! (Makes 16oz)
Here’s a snapshot of the juice delivery I made for my friend. The large gallon jug is my favorite green lemonade and the small orange containers are called Dreamsicle.
- 2 cucumbers
- 4 med size apples – I used fuji
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/4 bunch parsley
- 2 small lemons
Run all ingredients through a juicer (I recommend Breville) and enjoy! (Makes 32oz)
- 3 med sized apples
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 small sweet potato – yes! you CAN juice sweet potatoes!
- 1 pear
Run all ingredients through a juicer and enjoy! (Makes 32oz)
So basically I am just guzzling green juice all day, every day, for 10 days. So far I feel great! Other than the occasional craving, it’s been smooth sailing. One thing that juice feasting will do is help you to realize and identify your emotional ties to food. I’m never physically hungry, I just feel like eating because I am bored, cold, procrastinating, stressed, etc. It’s a really good experiment for anyone looking for a cleanse and to develop a deeper connection with the mind/body. I’m also doing regular colonics which really helps to keep detox symptoms at bay. I’ll be posting more about my experiences as the feast goes on. Feel free to ask questions if you’ve got em! 🙂
Have any of you ever done a juice feast or fast? If so, how did it go? For those of you who are juicing, what are your favorite juice recipes? I love hearing from you guys!!
PLEASE NOTE: Juice feasting/fasting/cleansing is a pretty major undertaking, and you should consult with a qualified health practitioner before throwing yourself into one. Do not use this post as your sole reference! Taking care of your body means doing it in a responsible way, being educated about the choices you are making, and taking small steps towards something greater.
We believe in fruit feasting. While you are on your fruit feast, we recommend also using the daily cleanser. It is very important towards the support of your feast. You can find out more about the daily cleanser here.